Bhutan: population and cities
Countryaah website, the population of Bhutan is around 750,000. Around 104,000 refugees
from Bhutan live in Nepal.
There are three main population groups in Bhutan:
- The Ngalung or Drukpas, a mountain people of Tibetan descent;
- the Sharchhops, the original residents of Bhutan, they live mainly in
the eastern parts of the country;
- the Lhotshampas, the people of Nepalese origin who live mainly in the
southern parts of the country.
affiliation Lamaistic Tantric Buddhism, Mahajana Buddhism of the "red
hat sect", is the Bhutanese state religion. About 72% of the country's
population belong to it. There are also followers of Hinduism. This includes
around 25% of Bhutan's residents.
About 2.5% of the population are Christians.
Dzongkha is the official language of Bhutan. English is widely spoken.
Capital and other cities
Bhutan can confidently be described as the most rural country in the world,
as only 6% of the country's population live in cities. The remaining 94% live in
the country and do agriculture.
The capital of Bhutan is Thimphu . About 100,000
people live there. The city spreads out along the Wang Chu River and is at an
altitude of 2,736 meters. It is the seat of government, parliament and the
administration of Bhutan and offers some interesting sights such as the Trashi
Chhoe Dzong monastery, which is now used as the seat of
government, the Dechenchoeling Palace and the memorial
chortens for King Jigme Dorji Wangchuk.
About 15,000 people live in the small western town of Paro, which
spreads out at an altitude of about 2400 meters. One of the reasons why the city
is so important for tourism is that Bhutan's only airport is located here. But
the great attractions (including the monastery Taktshang, Temple
Dungtse Lakhang, Temple Kyichu Lhakhang) are worth a
visit to the Paro Valley necessarily.
The border town to India in southern Bhutan is home to around 30,000
residents and fulfills an important transit function for Bhutanese imports and
exports. Since phuentsholing remains the only way for most non-Indians to reach
Bhutan, it is also of enormous importance in this regard. The main attraction of
the city is the Karbandi Monastery.
Other major cities of Bhutan are:
Samdrup Jongkhar with around 12,500 residents and
Geylegphug with around 12,500 residents.
Bhutan: geography, map
Defined by DigoPaul, Bhutan is a landlocked country in East Asia between Central and South Asia,
east of Nepal, north of India and south of China. The country is strongly shaped
by the Himalayas and covers an area of around 47,000 km². Thereof:
Around 60% of the country is forested, that is more than two thirds of the
- Meadow/pasture land
Around 5% of the land is used as meadow or pasture land.
- Fields and fields
Around 5% of the land is used as arable land or fields, especially for
growing rice, millet, barley, maize, cardamom and oranges.
Over 80% of Bhutan's area is over 2,000 m above sea level. The 2,000 to
3,000 m high mountains of the Front Himalayas characterize most of the
country's area. Further north, on the border with China, is the Lunana, the
high mountain region of the Himalaya. Glaciers and 18 snow peaks over 7,000m
block access to China.
Bhutan is a landlocked Asian country and has a common border with a total of
two countries with a total length of around 1,075 m:
- China with a length of around 470 km and
- India with a length of around 605 km.
Longitude and latitude
Bhutan extends over the following geographical latitude (abbreviation Δφ) and
geographical longitude (abbreviation Δλ):
|Δφ = from around 27 ° to 29 ° north latitude
Δλ = from around 088 ° to 092 ° east longitude
You can find detailed information on this subject under Longitude and
For Bhutan, the following value applies to Central European Time (CET), i.e.
the time without summer time. A minus sign means that it is earlier there, a
plus sign that it is later than CET:
Further and detailed explanations of the time can be found under Time zones,
The highest point of the sun in Thimphu
Thimphu lies at a northern latitude of around φ = 27.5 °.
If the sun, or its image point, is at the northern tropic, i.e. at δ = 23.5 °,
summer starts in Thimphu, this is June 21. Then, for the highest position of the
sun at noon, according to Eq. 1 (see position of the sun):
27.5 ° = (90 ° - h) + 23.5 °
With 86 ° the sun in Thimphu has the highest level of the entire year above
the horizon (more precisely: above the horizon).
There are a total of 18 peaks in the country that are over 7,000 m.
The highest mountain in the country is the Kula Kangri with a height of
Another high mountain is the Chomo Lhari with a height of 7,314 m.
The main rivers of Bhutan are:
The largest lakes in the country are:
- Jimilangtso Lake
- Jametso lake