The baby yoga aims to help make children more calm, relaxed, so that they can grow happy and healthy.Find out more about the sport.
The baby yoga arrived in Portugal in mid-2005 and, since then, has had a growing receptiveness and demand on the part of parents, teachers, and schools, which have shown an open mind and an awareness is important about the benefits of yoga practice since the first months of the child.
WHAT IS BABY YOGA?
The modality baby yoga is the result of a mixture between the adjustment of postures of traditional yoga to babies, with the practice of movements designed to stimulate sensory integration, being a practice that is developed in conjunction between the parents and the children, with the lessons focus mainly on the psychomotor development and emotional growth of children.
The parents are also great benefit from this practice, because it allows them to discover new ways to stimulate physical development, social and emotional baby, building solid emotional bonds.
The postures of the practice of baby yoga is based on many postures of traditional yoga that are adapted appropriately to the body of the baby, attaching to the touch, the movement, the sound and the visual contact in the same activity, making it a rich experience in sharing between parents and infants, and it is also an excellent way to help balance the time that the babies spend in chairs, in cars, in parks or in the walking machines.
The first years of a child’s life correspond to an important phase of its growth where, through their senses, the baby starts the knowledge, the adaptation and exploration of the outside world.
And this modality is virtually them natural since all children are born yogis, that is, with a propensity and natural abilities to the movements of traditional yoga.
And, up to 3 years, there are 3 levels of baby yoga:
- Level 1 – from 2 to 7 months
- Level 2 – from 7 to 14 months 14 to 24 months
- Level 3 – from 2 to 3 years
After this phase, you may enroll your children in yoga classes for children.
BABY YOGA BENEFITS FOR BABIES
It is not easy to create a happy baby, calm, relaxed, quiet, but the baby yoga gives a great help.
Check out all the benefits of this practice:
- Promotes a good night’s sleep, more regular and calm;
- Helps balance, co-ordination and motor skills;
- It stimulates the brain and learning in the future;
- Develops confidence, physical and spatial awareness;
- Improves muscle development;
- Stimulates the body systems: digestive, nervous, respiratory, immune;
- Help the baby in the natural transition from one stage of development to another;
- Promotes interaction in a social environment nourishing for parents and babies;
- Promotes a strong emotional bond with the parents, that will be the basis of future social relations.
BABY YOGA – BENEFITS FOR PARENTS
But it’s not just the children who benefit with the practice of baby yoga. Parents, too, are advantages of this modality:
- Promotes and strengthens the bond between parents and babies;
- Helps parents and baby get to know each other better through non-verbal communication;
- Reduces levels of stress and anxiety;
- Teaches the principles and postures of yoga.
The word yoga means “union” and this is what is intended with the practice of baby yoga: the union between parents and children, the union between body and mind, the union between the human being and the world in which it operates.