Petersburg, Nebraska is a small city located in Boone County. With a population of around 1,500 residents, Petersburg is a tight-knit community that offers its residents an array of activities and amenities. Geographically, the city lies on the east side of the Platte River and is surrounded by rolling hills and farmland. Its climate is typical of the Midwest with hot summers and cold winters. See topbbacolleges for information about Adams County, Nebraska.
The history of Petersburg dates back to 1871 when it was founded by German immigrants who were attracted to the area because of its fertile soil. The town was named after one of the founders, Peter Schreiner. As with many towns in Nebraska, Petersburg has been primarily agricultural since its beginning. In recent years, however, there has been a shift towards more industrial development which has provided additional employment opportunities for local residents.
Petersburg is served by two school districts: Boone Central Public Schools and St. Peter’s Lutheran School which provides education from pre-K through 8th grade. In addition to these educational institutions, there are also several churches and stores within the city limits for residents to enjoy.
Petersburg’s economy relies heavily on agriculture as well as tourism due to its close proximity to Omaha and Lincoln which offer a variety of attractions for visitors such as museums and shopping centers. The town also boasts several landmarks including the historic Schreiner House Museum which was built in 1887 by Peter Schreiner himself; this museum showcases artifacts from early settlers in the area as well as other objects related to local history. Additionally, there are several parks located throughout Petersburg offering visitors recreational opportunities such as hiking trails and playgrounds for children to enjoy during their stay in town.
Population: 374. Estimated population in July 2020: 340 (-9.1% change)
Males: 173 (46.3%), Females: 201 (53.7%)
Zip code: 68652
Median resident age: 44.1 years
Median household income: $29,688
Median house value: $38,200
Races in Petersburg:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.6%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Other race (1.9%)
- Two or more races (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (74.6%), Irish (6.4%), Dutch (5.9%), Norwegian (5.3%), Polish (3.7%), English (3.5%).
Elevation: 1898 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
Petersburg, Nebraska is a small town with a population of 1,565 people according to the 2010 census. It is located in Boone County, Nebraska and is part of the Omaha-Council Bluffs Metropolitan area. The median household income for Petersburg is $56,875 and the median home value is $103,725. The cost of living in Petersburg is relatively low compared to other cities in the area; groceries cost an average of 8% less than the national average while housing costs are an average of 13% lower than the national average.
The city has a variety of housing options available including single family homes, apartments and condominiums. The median rent for a two bedroom apartment in Petersburg is $715 per month. Utilities such as electricity and gas are also affordable with an average monthly cost around $150. This makes it easy for residents to keep their living costs low while still enjoying all that Petersburg has to offer. There are also plenty of amenities available such as parks, libraries and recreation centers that provide residents with plenty of options for leisure activities. In addition to all these great amenities, there are also plenty of shopping and dining opportunities available in nearby Omaha-Council Bluffs area which makes it easy for residents to find what they need without having to drive too far away from home.
For population 25 years and over in Petersburg
- High school or higher: 74.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.8%
- Unemployed: 0.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Petersburg village
- Never married: 20.7%
- Now married: 56.9%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 16.3%
- Divorced: 5.4%
3.2% Foreign born (3.2% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -14 (-3.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Petersburg:
- BOONE COUNTY HEALTH CENTER (about 11 miles; ALBION, NE)
- TILDEN COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; TILDEN, NE)
- ANTELOPE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; NELIGH, NE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Petersburg:
- KARL STEFAN MEMORIAL (about 46 miles; NORFOLK, NE; Abbreviation: OFK)
- CENTRAL NEBRASKA REGIONAL (about 63 miles; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Abbreviation: GRI)
- CHAN GURNEY MUNI (about 88 miles; YANKTON, SD; Abbreviation: YKN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Petersburg:
- ALBION MUNI (about 10 miles; ALBION, NE; Abbreviation: BVN)
- ANTELOPE COUNTY (about 18 miles; NELIGH, NE; Abbreviation: 4V9)
- GREELEY MUNI (about 38 miles; GREELEY, NE; Abbreviation: 99Y)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Petersburg:
- NORTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 34 miles; NORFOLK, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,732)
- CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 74 miles; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,730)
- WAYNE STATE COLLEGE (about 77 miles; WAYNE, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,026)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT KEARNEY (about 98 miles; KEARNEY, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,588)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA (about 103 miles; VERMILLION, SD; Full-time enrollment: 6,014)
- SOUTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE AREA (about 119 miles; LINCOLN, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,137)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT LINCOLN (about 120 miles; LINCOLN, NE; Full-time enrollment: 19,806)
Public primary/middle schools in Petersburg:
- BOONE CENTRAL MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 112; Grades: 04 – 08)
- BOONE CENTRAL ELEM-PETERSBURG (Students: 40; Grades: PK – 06)
Private primary/middle school in Petersburg:
- ST JOHN THE BAPTIST SCHOOL (Students: 28; Location: BOX 208 4TH NORMAN ST; Grades: 2 – 6)
Library in Petersburg:
- PETERSBURG PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $8,993; Location: 103 SOUTH SECOND STREET; 8,464 books; 76 audio materials; 221 video materials; 23 serial subscriptions)