Travel to Sweden

By | October 16, 2021

Area: 447,435 km²
Residents: 10,230,105 (December 31, 2018)
Population density: 23 E / km²
Form of Government: Parliamentary hereditary monarchy
System of Government: Parliamentary democracy
Neighboring countries: Norway, Finland
Capital: Stockholm National
language: Swedish
Regional languages: Finnish, Meänkieli, Sami
Recognized minorities -Languages: Yiddish, Romani, Svenskt teckenspråk
72.9% Evangelical Lutheran,
2.7% Muslim,
1.6% Roman Catholic,
1.1% Christian Orthodox,
0.24%Jehovah’s Witnesses,
0.1% Jewish
Currency: Swedish krona (SEK)
1 SEK = 100 Öre
Exchange rates:
1 EUR = 10.18 SEK
1 SEK = 0.10 EUR
1 CHF = 9.38 SEK
1 SEK = 0.11 CHF
(Rate from July 13th, 2021)
Telephone area code: +46
Time zone: UTC + 1 CET
UTC + 2 CEST (March to October)

In 2020, 1,804 Germans officially emigrated to Sweden and 972 came back to their homeland. Within the 10 years from 2010 to 2019, 17,747 Germans officially emigrated to Sweden and 10,147 moved back to Germany. This Scandinavian country landed on the 1st place on the satisfaction list of all emigration destinations. In 2020 there were officially 29,505 Germans living in Sweden as well as other German-speaking people.

Immigrants from almost every country in the world live in Sweden. The largest group of the population after the Swedes are the approximately 450,000 Swedish Finns, who form a large group, especially in Tornedalen. From the 1960s onwards, immigrants came mainly from European countries such as Germany, Italy, Yugoslavia and Turkey. From the 1980s onwards, more and more immigrants came from Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Eritrea and in some cases also from South America, and from the 2000s on, mainly from Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia. Due to the refugee crisis from 2015, the Syrians currently form the third largest population group with around 172,000.

According to allcitycodes, about 80 percent of Sweden’s population live in cities – 935,619 in the capital Stockholm alone (2.1 million residents in Greater Stockholm). 18 percent of the population are immigrants (residents born abroad). Swedish is the official language. Almost 80% of the Swedish population speak English as a foreign language. German (around 25%) is also offered as a second foreign language in schools.

The climate is rather mild for its geographical location and is determined by the proximity to the Atlantic Ocean with the warm Gulf Stream. Large parts of Sweden (except for the southern Swedish highlands and in some parts of the foreland of the Scandinavian Mountains) have a humid climate with abundant rainfall and relatively small temperature differences between summer and winter. Polar climate occurs only in the northern high mountains.

Due to its location between the 55th and 69th parallel, the difference between long daylight in summer and long darkness in winter is considerable. Anyone wishing to emigrate is well advised to visit the country during both extremes.

Sweden is divided into three regions: Götaland, Svealand and Norrland, with the south of the country being more developed and populated than the north. Sweden has 38,485 km² of inland waters, which are divided into many thousands of lakes and are mainly located in southern central Sweden. The long, bright summer nights are characteristic of northern Sweden.

General travel regulations (up to the corona pandemic)

For EU citizens, neither a visa nor a residence permit is required. Citizens from Switzerland, on the other hand, have to consider a few things if they want to stay in Sweden for more than 3 months.

Immigration, permanent residence, residence permit

For EU citizens (except Switzerland)

When entering the country, register with the responsible residents’ registration office. To do this, you must first obtain a personal identification number from the Swedish tax authorities, which is used for registration. This identification number is also helpful when dealing with authorities, visits to the doctor and for contracts of all kinds. In addition, the Swedish health system can be used in this way.

If you want to stay in the country for more than a year, you have to register with the tax authorities. Proof of registration with the tax authorities is that you either work or study in Sweden or have sufficient financial resources (150,000 SEK per adult, 75,000 SEK per child) and health insurance. If you are looking for work and do not have sufficient funds to live on, you can stay in the country for up to 6 months.

After 5 years of residence, you can have the right of permanent residence issued in the form of a certificate. To do this, the following must be submitted to the Swedish Migration Agency together with the application form:

  • Application form 174011: Link to the PDF form
  • Copy of the travel document
  • Proof of income (issued by the Swedish tax authorities)
  • Work certificates
  • If you are self-employed: a tax account with the Swedish Tax Authorities covering the last five years of the company
  • When studying: study results
  • For pensioners: proof of financial means (SEK 8,500, for a married couple SEK 15,000)

Please send the application to one of the addresses listed (not Umeå): Addresses

For citizens of Switzerland

As a Swiss citizen you have to apply for a residence permit for stays of more than 3 months. However, you can start work or study immediately after entering the country. You can register with the tax authorities (Swedish Tax Agency) immediately. The free application for residence must be submitted to the Swedish Migration Agency.

The Swedish Migration Agency / Migrationsverket
Box 3100
903 03 Umeå

Application form 147011: Link to the PDF form

The following must be added to the application and submitted:

  • Copy of the passport
  • Certificate of employment from the employer
  • Form (to be completed by the Swedish employer):

Link to the PDF form

In the case of self-employment, there is also:

  • Tax card and registration certificate from the Swedish Commercial Register
  • last sales tax assessment
  • Evidence that you run the business (e.g. customer invoices, etc.)

If a business was bought in Sweden, the following must be proven:

  • Transfer Agreement
  • Last annual report

For students, the following applies in addition to the application:

  • Certificate of admission to a course that is at upper secondary level (Gymnasium) or higher
  • Certificate that there is comprehensive health insurance
  • Assurance of sufficient funds

If you want to live on your savings in Sweden, this must also be proven on the basis of, for example, pension or bank statements, etc. Health insurance is also required for the entire stay.

As a pensioner: SEK 8,500, for a married couple SEK 15,000.
As a job seeker: SEK 150,000 per adult, SEK 75,000 per child

As soon as the application process is through, you will receive the residence card. It is valid for 5 years. For students a maximum of one year.

To extend the residence permit, simply fill out the application form (147011) and send it to the migration authority. This should be done 30 days before the current residence card expires. Each family member must submit their own form.

Long-term residence status can be applied for after 5 years of uninterrupted residence in Sweden. This is then no longer limited to a certain time. If you stay outside of Sweden for more than 6 years, this status expires.

Travel to Sweden